Example. Sunday was Fathers Day. I didn't post about it because it wasn't a stellar day around our house for several reasons. 1. After going to church, the babies were totally off schedule and didn't nap well during the morning or the afternoon. They were up when I needed them to be asleep so that I could prepare a wonderful meal for Al. 2. I didn't have a gift for Al this year. I wanted to give him a new summer suit but I didn't want to buy it without him in case he wanted a different style, cut, etc. Since I am now spending all of "his" money, I wanted to make sure he liked it. 3. As usual, about half way through the afternoon of me being in a funk, I realize that I don't enjoy this holiday because I do not have a dad to call and celebrate.
So, all that being said, back to the small stuff. I was trying to rally on Sunday and had figured out how to make the roasted chicken dinner I had gotten all excited about only to realize I was missing 1 thing - a carrot. One measley little carrot. I was using a new recipe and wanted to follow it to the T. This little carrot threw off the rest of my day, I had a bit of a melt down and Al ended up cooking Chinese food for dinner. Consider Fathers Day a failure....all because of a carrot.
Luckily, I am married to a guy who doesn't care about holidays or presents. He truly just wanted to spend the day with the family - playing baseball with Ely and swimming with all 3 kiddos.
On the flip side, today has ended perfectly. I finally got my carrot and I managed to pull off a delicious meal. It has been about 2 years since Al gave me the Julia Childs Cookbook - "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and I have finally broken the spine, spilled a few drops of EVOO, and broken in the cookbook. Al and I celebrated Fathers Day tonight with a wonderful dinner of roasted chicken, grilled asparagus, and baked potatoes. The only odd part is that Ely was at Leah's and the twins were slumbering. Oh well, we cracked a bottle of chilled chardonnay and had a delightful meal!
Oh how one little carrot can change things :)
No comments:
Post a Comment