Blog background

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

4 month check up and Podee Love

Yesterday we went for Molly and Luke's 4 month doctors appointment.  Despite the fact I had to wake up the babies early from their afternoon naps, they were in total roll reversal.  Molly was all smiles and pretty laid back and Luke was quite irritated with me!  Until the 2 shots; then, they both were screaming.

We had great check ups and I am thankful that Al got to meet Dr. Radimecky.  Here are the stats:

Luke: 
weight: 14lbs (25%)
height: 25" (50%)

Molly:
weight: 10lb, 14oz (less than 5%)
height: 23.5" (25%)

I knew that Molly was a good bit smaller than her brother but I was surprised at 3lbs difference.  I like to look back as to what Ely measured at the same time and he was 25.3" (62%) and 14lb, 13oz (48%).  My babies are growing and changing all the time.

My latest observation is that Molly and Luke are starting to notice one another.  I thought it was a fluke at first but over and over I see it.  For the first time, Molly seems to really enjoy looking at Luke.  If I hold him right in front of her she will smile at him just as she does Ely (and Luke isn't even making funny faces!).  And Luke will smile at her.   They seem to actually enjoy laying beside each other and can lay on the play mat for a while.  I left them to take a shower and when I got done they were still content.  As soon as I picked up Luke, Molly started to cry.  It was really sweet.  I have heard twins really start to notice each other around 6 months but I am starting to see glimpses of that, even now.  

I have referred to the babies taking their bottles with a Podee adaptor.  I will explain.  When I was pregnant with the twins my two good twin mom friends in Dallas got me all excited about the Podee.  It is a way to feed the babies without having to hold or prop bottles.  As soon as the babies were born I knew that this would be a valuable feeding tool.  I remember those first weeks when mom was here and I physically could not feed both babies at the same time and being so frustrated.  Over time, we all got the hang of things and I have gotten good at holding the bottles for the babies while they are in their bouncy seats.  Although we figured this out, I always dreamed of the Podee.  See, when I am feeding the babies without it, I am truly stuck at home during all feedings.  I have to have my couch, bouncy seats, etc but the Podees gave me great hope of being able to be out in public or take Ely on a picnic and feel comfortable feeding them out of the house.  I started testing Luke out on the Podee when he was like 2 months old (WAY earlier than anyone had suggested to me) and he would never get it.  Even as late as mid-April at moms, he still wouldn't take to it.  I tried Molly out with it finally when I got back to Dallas.  I think it was Wednesday, June 1st.  She took it like a pro!  I attempted Luke on it the next day and he finally got it (I don't think he wanted his sister to out-perform him).  Well, over the past 2 weeks, these little ones have mastered the Podee.  It was slow at first but they are rocking them.  Even today I fed them out on the patio (with more distractions than normal) and they did great!  It is funny, each time I would bring this up to my mom she would get very anxious about this "new fangled" feeding contraption.  She was worried that I would never hold the babies while they ate.  Funny thing is, I was never able to hold the babies while they ate!!  Now I can hold one while the other hangs in a bouncy.  It is wonderful.  I am so proud of them - even if it looks a little crazy!!  Molly girl eat so much better on hers and will suck down 7oz without blinking an eye!

Molly on her day 1

Luke on his day 1 with Podee

No comments:

Post a Comment