Blog background

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fathers Day

I have been working this post over in my head over the last few days.  As I wrote to one of my girlfriends, Fathers Day is just never what I want it to be.  This November will mark 6 years since my Dad passed away from Melanoma cancer.  Although I and my entire family misses him terribly, the true tragedy in this is that my children and nieces and nephews will never really know how great of a man he was.

Daddy loved his family - plain and simple.  He was a wonderful provider, supporter, leader, and playmate.  He loved everything outdoors - hunting, fishing, skiing (water and snow).  Pretty much everything except the beach.  One of his passions was Auburn - everything Auburn.  He loved mom, each of us girls, his sons-in-law and his grandbabies (although he only got to hold Hudson for a short 6 months).

I could write pages and pages, post after post about how great he was but a few things stand out in my mind.  There was never a moment that I doubted how much he loved me or how proud he was of me.  It wasn't dependent on performance or what grades I made - he was just proud of me because that is who I was.  He never held back his affection for any of us.  I love that he also freely shared this with Al.  He loved to laugh at how crazy Al is and even though Al is very different than my family, dad welcomed him as his own.  I cherish the relationship Al had with him even it it were only for a few years.

I often find myself feeling sorry for my Dallas friend because they never knew Dad. (really I feel sorry for anyone who didn't get to meet him)  I am pretty sure that everyone who met him was a better person for it and I am sorry my friends in Dallas didn't get to do that.




That is why Fathers Day isn't always great for me.  In the future I am going to try to buck up and celebrate more with Al.  He so deserves it.  I love seeing Al grow into the father that I always knew he would be.  I like to think a little bit of it is because he knew my dad.  Al is a great father primarily because he puts our relationship above anything else, even the kids.  Our kids will never wonder if he loves me.  I also love that Al loves our children and truly enjoys being with them.  As Luke and Molly grow into bigger kids, they will be able to enjoy their dad just as much as Ely does.  I never want to wish away their "baby-ness" but a part of me wants them to be at the age to play baseball and rough-house with Al because I know what joy it will bring all of them.

Happy Fathers Day, Al.  I know Sunday wasn't as great as either of us would want it to be, but know that you are loved and celebrated EVERY day!!
One of Al's first pictures with Ely

Al's first picture with Molly and Luke

This is my favorite "dad" picture of Al.  I need one now with all 3 kiddos!

PS - I hate cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment