Blog background

Saturday, June 4, 2011

4 months

For some reason, I can't quite tackle my blog about the trip to Alabama.  I think I am just overwhelmed by all we did to try to get it in one post.  So, I will write about the babies - its always easy to think of what I want to write about with them.

I think we are about to start a time of lots of changes and developments with the twins.  I remember about 4 or 5 months was the beginning of one of my favorite baby stages with Ely and I know it will be one of my favorites with the twins.  They are really growing into themselves and becoming more aware and interactive each day.

Little Miss Molly is a little bit.  Her brother has seemed to really pack on the pounds and there is a greater difference in their weight.  I am anxious to go to the doctor on Tuesday for their 4 month check up to see how much they actually weigh.  I am thinking Molly is around 11 pounds.  During the flight back from NC to Birmingham from visiting my grandmother, aunt and uncle, Molly decided that she didn't want her paci any more.  She found her thumb and it is her new best friend!!  I was a bit disappointed by this just thinking of the habit that I am going to have to break in the future.  But I tell you, for the most part, she is now my best sleeper.  It takes her just a few cries to find her thumb and then she is out cold.  It is a wonderful thing.

This little girl loves being held - I mean, for the most part if she isn't being held, she isn't happy.  So we get a lot of mommy, daughter time during the day.  This is quite a feat since I have Luke and Ely as well wanting my attention.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease in our family.  Molly is held a lot!  I am beginning to wonder if she doesn't have some colic.  I hate to jump to that, but all of her crying does make me wonder.  She still hates a dirty diaper and lets you know that.  Although she doesn't take the paci, I have been known to take Luke's from him to give it to her in moments of desperation.  It doesn't work - she still cries!  Molly has never met a mirror she doesn't like.  She can sit and look at herself for hours  minutes.  It is her best form of entertainment!

Molly's big first for the month is taking the Podee bottle.  She started taking it on Tuesday just before her 4 month birthday.  It was a wonderful gift to this mama and I love it.  We are still getting the hang of it and I certainly don't leave the babies alone but I think they will become more efficient in the future - I hope.

Her second big first happened on her 4 month birthday - she rolled from her belly to her back!  As Al said - good thing she rolled to the right.  She was on our oversized chair and had she rolled to the left she would have found herself smack on the floor!

Our laid back Lukey is still as precious as can be.  He still takes a paci for mommy, although I have caught him sucking his 2 middle fingers and his whole fist!  I will say, if he would sleep as well as Molly I would trade the paci for his fingers but he doesn't seem to have that strong of an opinion about it!  He takes longer to get to sleep for most naps and bed times but really isn't longer than what Ely took - probably shorter, really.  He is learning to take his paci out of his mouth but can't put it back in yet, which does cause some problems!

Luke loves holding his hands together - I think he is praying that I won't loose my mind and that his sister won't always steal all the attention!  He is still a completely content baby and is so easy.  Luke's big first this month was playing in the exersaucer and jumperoo.  Molly has tried them both but it is Luke who is really into them.  He can be there for 30 minutes just playing all on his own.  Although as soon as he realizes he is alone in a room, you will start to hear him!

Luke's first accomplishment this month was that he is our first to laugh.  He gave my Aunt Judy that gift when we were in North Carolina visiting.  She was just talking away to Luke and he just found it too funny!!  I am not surprised that he was the first to laugh - he seems to have such an easy disposition.

Luke started using the podee on Wednesday and is working on getting better and better at it.  I can't wait until I am comfortable to be out with them during a feeding and use the podee - what freedom!

As I mentioned, Luke is a little porker compared to Molly.  I think he might be close to 14 pounds or so. I can't wait to start them on cereal - especially Luke.  He likes to wake up at 6:00-6:30 each morning and I hope the solid foods help him sleep a little longer (might be wishful thinking).  The good news is he is happy to lay in bed with me until 7:30 which is nice.  I love the snuggle time since so much of the rest of my day is spent keeping Molly happy.


Our schedule hasn't changed much
up and eating around  7:30
naps from 9am - 11ish
eat 11:30
naps from 1pm - 3:30
nap around 5pm for about 45 minutes
Witching hour - typically try to go for a walk if it isn't miserably hot
Dinner is around 7pm and the babies are in bed by 8 at the latest.
I started dream feeding them around 10:30 or 11  - just to help them sleep a little longer in the morning!

A few random notes - both babies are still being swaddled - not because they need it but I think it really cues them to sleep time.  They seem to fall asleep faster when swaddled up, even loosely.  Also they had their first swim in Lake Martin on Sunday, May 29th.  They both loved it!  As soon as I get pictures from Ashley and Shelley from the weekend I will post them.

Their personalities really seem to be developing and I can't wait to see what the coming months hold.

We are all learning how to have Ely in the house full time.  He is such a help with the babies and I am so thankful for this time we can all 4 (5 when daddy is home) spend time together!

Thank you Aunt Judy for these precious outfits.  They are perfect on the babies!!

2 comments:

  1. they're just precious! Great update! Charis was and is a thumb sucker and has always been better able to self-soothe. So there's definitely an upside to the thumb. At almost 4 we're still unable to break the habit, so that's the downside! Right now, though the sleep is probably the most important thing :-) Looks like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, they have gotten so big! It's amazing how different they look too! Cole loves his Podee. We have to give him a "lovey" to occupy his hands though otherwise he will pull the tube out over and over again. I agree with you on getting Molly checked for reflux/colic. A little bit of Zantac or Prevacid can make a WORLD of difference. It did for both Kaitlyn and Cole. :-) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete