Honestly, Thanksgiving week was a bit of an emotional roller coaster for all of the family. Six years ago dad lost a very short battle with melanoma cancer. This year the dates and days of the week lined up as they did 6 years ago. Had I written this post last week I would have been overcome with sadness that I haven't been able to talk with or reach out and touch dad in six years. I would have been overwhelmed with the fact that none of my kids will never personally know how wonderful dad was or how much he would have loved them. Today, I am thankful. Thankful for him, for his legacy, and for all the memories that I hold so dear. I like this frame of mind much more than where I was last week! Simply put, dad was a wonderful person, loving father and dear friend. He was the lone man living with 4 girls, which explains his need for a man cave! One of my favorite memories is that he would take each of the girls on "dates". I always lucked out with some of the best restaurants! I am thankful that I can still remember the feeling of his arm around me when we sat at church (in the old sanctuary it was on the far left side on the outside aisle and dad always, always sat on the end.). If I am still, I cam almost feel the weight of his arm or his suit jacket. I never want to forget the look of his hands or how generous he was with letting us each know how much he loved us.
| This was taken about 18 days before we found out dad was sick. It was a fun, stress free day in Auburn |
After making the 12 hour drive to Alabama, I was thankful for the amazingly easy, stress-free trip it was with 3 kids. Al and I never really talked about the logistics of the trip or how we anticipated that twins would travel. I think it was because we both thought there would be a lot of crying and stopping along the way. We were truly amazed at how well they did. I had invested in a dual DVD player for them and they loved having something to look at other than the back of a chair. Ely was in hog heaven watching movie after movie.
| One of Ely's short naps on the drive home Sunday. Notice he loves to touch Molly and Luke's legs as he rides! |
There is so much more to be thankful for....the safe arrival and overall health of Luke and Molly, watching Ely grow into an amazing big brother, a job that Al loves and is successful enough that I am able to stay home. I am thankful for dear friends and the time I have been able to spend with old friends this year.
On to December. My favorite time of the year!
Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment