July 24th was a big day around here. We started Molly and Luke on rice cereal! It is crazy how in just 4 years things change. With Ely, we started cereal at 4 months and fruits/veggies at 6 months. Now, it is recommended that cereal starts at 6 months to help reduce allergies.
As expected, it was a slow start but the babies have really picked up on the whole eating thing pretty quickly. We are now up to cereal twice a day, breakfast and dinner. I am working to tweak how much I feed them and am trying learn their cues as to when they are full. We are getting there.
My newest project is learning to make baby food. I am not sure why I have built this up as something difficult but it really is as easy as other moms have told me. So far I have made sweet peas and green beans. Tomorrow I am making sweet potatoes and carrots. I don't want anyone to make a mistake-I am not doing this because I think homemade food is healthier than store bought (maybe it is, maybe it isn't). I am simply trying to do my part to save money! It is amazing how much cheaper homemade food is!
| steaming sweet peas |
| getting ready to freeze the individual portions |
So far I have learned...
- Luke is going to have a huge appetite
- Feeding two babies is messier than feeding one
- It is going to take a LOT of veggies to puree enough food for the babies-I need to buy in bulk
- The veggies really are pretty bland without salt, pepper or beef bouillon!
No comments:
Post a Comment