Blog background

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ely's Big Trip

On Sunday morning, I had to say good-bye to my mom.  Yep, no help during the day for a whole week.  More significant than that, Al and I said good-bye to Ely for a week!  He and Mom were bound for Colorado for the annual Haisten Ski trip.  Ely was so excited that we counted down the days the week leading up to the trip and on Sunday morning he didn't want to eat breakfast in hopes to get on the plane earlier.  He said, "I want a snack, mommy.  One Cheerio!"

Once in Denver, Mom and Ely met up with Ashley and her family (Mike, Hudson and Haisten) and Shelley and Anna Beth.  Al's cousin, Emily, also joined them to babysit Haisten while the rest of the crew were skiing each day.  They caravanned to Vail with a few stops along the way.
At Lunch headed to Vail - Haisten and Anna Beth
Silly Cousins - Ely and Hudson
Ely and Hudson on the way to get fitted for skies and boots
Ely getting fitted for boots.  He and Hudson just had to wear their goggles!
Al and I anxiously awaited the report of the 1st day at ski school on Monday.  You see, the last time Ely was on skis (2 years ago), he didn't exactly love it.  In fact, he hated every minute of it.  We did really talk about it until this winter when we had decided to let him go with mom on the ski trip.  I found one picture of Ely on skis with Al.  He was crying but in the picture he looks like he was smiling!  So, for the last 3 months, we have been telling Ely how much he loves skiing and would show him the picture.
This is in 2009, the last time Ely was on skis (yes, he really was miserable, but you can't tell in this pic!)

Yes, this is a bit of parent manipulation.  Needless to say, Al and I were able to worried that he actually hate the experience but prayed that he would love it!
Ely and Grammy before ski school
To our delight, Ely did great and wanted to go back the next day (which was just what Al and I had hoped for).  Yesterday, via Skype (yes, I LOVE Skype!) Al and I were able to see him ski for the first time!!  He could snow plow (or "pizza" as they call it these days) and stop where he wanted to.  He just did wonderful and we can't wait to go with him next year.   We are hoping that Emily will want to come back with us to watch the twins!

Ely and Hudson Skiing
Ely is the one in the Orange Coat and Shelley is holding the phone so that we could skype yesterday!

Our family has been skiing since I was about 8 years old.  Since my dad wasn't a "beach bum" the mountains became our annual family vacation.  Luckily, each of "the girls" married guys who enjoy skiing as well.  I am thrilled we are able to continue this tradition with our kids.

Hopefully there will be another post with the last two days of the trip.  Today everyone went snow-mobiling and tomorrow is the last day of skiing.  I can't wait to hear all about it from my 4 year old when he gets home on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment