Blog background

Friday, September 7, 2012

1st Day of Kindergarten

I often have the internal debate - do I manipulate the blog calendar so that my posts seem to be right on time or do I have full disclosure and post my blogs on the day I write them, even if they are exactly 11 days late?  I go back and forth.  Today I will be honest and let the world know...my son has been in kindergarten for 11 days and I haven't blogged about it yet.  Whew, what a load off :)

Now, back to the main event...Kindergarten.  We love it.  Growing up, I never thought there was a better school system to be a part of besides Hewitt-Trussville.  I had great teachers, tons of friends and I went there from Kindergarten until my senior year.  I was/am proud of this.  In just a few short days, I now have the same pride about Grapevine-Colleyville ISD.  Especially, Heritage Elementary - Go HES!!  From registration in the spring to meet the teacher, first day of school to curriculum night, we have been overwhelmed with how great the faculty and staff are at the school.

Mrs. Hill is living up to every great thing we had heard about her.  She is full of energy, so loving to the kids and such a cheerleader for the parents.  She even send pictures several times a week of Ely in class and learning with friends!  As a first time kindergarten mom, I am struggling with the reality that I just won't know everything that goes on with Ely throughout the day.  I have to trust that his teacher will let me know if he is misbehaving and truly, no news is good news.  As a preschool/daycare parent, I depended on daily reports of when he ate, slept, pooped.  I knew how he was feeling, what he worked on that day with his folder overflowing with art and work each day.  In 10 days of school, we have gotten 2 packets of information sent home and that is it.  I hear the homework is coming and I am sure very quickly I will be wishing for the days of an empty backpack instead of lost feeling I have now each time his folder is empty and the only thing in the bag is his emergency change of clothes and leftover snack!

So today, I look forward to the next family night and the emails of pictures that Mrs. Hill sends me.

First Day of School






Off to School

Ely showing Mrs. Hill his new pet rock, Shrimp

Luke is ready for the first day!

Mrs. Hill let the parents stay for the first days' announcements and pledge (Ely looks thrilled!)

A Peak into Mrs. Hill's class (pictures by Mrs. Hill)
Day 1
Our Reading friend

So happy that Campbell is in our class

Working on writing (cracks me up that Ely isn't in a chair)

He loves using the iPad.  Matthew was his partner on the 1st day

Ely's pet rock, Shrimp

Day 1


No comments:

Post a Comment