Blog background

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Weekend

For our family (as for many, many others) a holiday is not a one day event, but more like an entire weekend, or sometimes week for that matter.  Easter is no different.  I wish I could be writing this and tell you how I spent most of the Easter Holy week pouring over devotionals or being completely immersed in the hugeness that Jesus not only died for every one in the world but specifically for me and my family.  I wish I kept that the focus of my daily life last week.  Don't get me wrong - Ely and I did Resurrection Eggs together for the first time, which was wonderful, and every time we talked about the Easter Bunny, we also talked about the true focus of the holiday and that we are doing all of this to celebrate our Risen Savior.  However, I wish I had allowed myself the time to have that focus in my own heart.  I am thankful that I have a fresh new day every day and that my Lord loves me despite my lack of attention to Him.

The great news of Easter weekend is that we had some wonderful family time together.  With our own little family as well as Al's extended family.  It was priceless!  Friday night Al and I snagged a date night to celebrate Lindsey Buckmaster's 27th birthday.  Oh my, she is getting SO old :)  Although I was surrounded by 20 year olds who have never birthed a baby, I was feeling good that I was wearing a new dress and the tag said "small".  Oh the small joys of life :)  I do hope one day I get to the point that I am completely satisfied with my outward appearance and not be so insecure when I am around those 20 year olds.  One day.  It was a beautiful night with fabulous Italian food.  

Saturday was filled with t-ball, errands and the 3rd Annual (Scott/Jane) Amerson Crawfish Boil.  It is always a fun way to spend the afternoon and evening outside and do something a little different.  Scott is a master boiler!  Al's grandma was able to be at the boil and I am thankful that she got to spend time with both of the babies.  I take it for granted that she is so close and I should go see her more.  I hope to do that this summer when we need to get out of the house but is too hot to be outside!  Thankfully, Al supported us leaving on the early side (around 7:30) so that we could finish getting ready for Easter Sunday.  We still had to stop by Jos. A Banks and pick up his new pants for church.  

Easter Sunday was a great day.  Al made it easier on my by being ready early so we could do pictures before church when everyone was still "fresh".  For the first time I sort of went over the deep end and coordinated all 5 of us.  I loved what each of us wore and it was certainly worth the effort.  Although I didn't get a great picture of all of us, I hope to have a family picture made early next month.  Ely was excited about his Easter basket - goggles, a new outfit, a football for the pool, Angry Birds sticker book and of course, candy!  The babies were a little less bowled over and I don't think they ever even looked at their baskets!  

Church was wonderful and we were able to share the service with Al's mom, dad and grandma.  I wasn't in the service b/c I was helping in the pre-school.  Hopefully I will be able to be in service next year!  I got my work out strolling the babies up and down the church hallways (Molly included!).  I just love our church and I am honored to be able to help serve there.  I am thankful for my time at PCBC because it opened my eyes to how important it is to volunteer in the local church.  I don't think I ever realized it before that experience.  I am so thankful to have a church that appreciates my efforts as well!

After church, everyone came back to the house for a leisurely lunch, including Jane, Scott, Emily and Grant.  I say leisurely because it took me an hour to prepare after I got home - at least I had the prep work done and no one was in a hurry!  We had herb crusted lamb, asparagus and Parmesan risotto, green bean bundles, and banana pudding.  Thanks to Jane for taking over the risotto - it might have put me over the edge.  I love a family holiday meal.  It is the few times a year I pull out the china, crystal and silver.  And I love it.  I enjoy the effort of getting it all out, making sure all spots are gone and all silver is polished up.  I love my dining table with the table cloth and linen napkins folded and ironed to perfection.  I love the look of the meal when it is on the plate.  I really don't mind the hand washing (especially when I have an army of people to help!).  Again - focus was a bit askew this weekend!  Thankfully, everyone enjoyed the meal and there weren't any leftovers.  I am also thankful that the babies played happily in the playroom while the rest of us were able to eat lunch - I was a bit worried that I would have had to eat a cold meal while taking care of them!

After lunch was all picked up and the babies had napped, Scott's family stayed for our Easter egg hunt.  I failed to mention that before church Ely realized that it was supposed to rain and was VERY worried about the egg hunt.  He was finally happy with a plan B of having the hunt indoors.  As soon as church was out, the heavens opened and the rain came in a flood.  Tons and tons of rain.  It was actually a bit relaxing.  I was glad we got some pictures outdoors before church.  Just as the babies were ending their naps, the rain stopped and we were able to have the hunt outside.  It was great fun and as much as he wanted to find the golden egg, he only got the silver - Grant and Luke beat him to the golden one!  

After everyone left, we had the most relaxing evening as a family of 5, including a leisurely walk around the neighborhood.  It was a great day!

Now - time for pictures!
George did great with dessert!

Happy Birthday, Pretty Girl!

A Saturday doesn't start without us cheering on the Rangers!




Luke seems to love baseball just like Ely!


After the game, the kids and I enjoyed a walk around the canals

Time for some Crawfish!


Up and going early to celebrate Easter! - at least Al looks happy!







3 Team - Boys, Girls and Ely!



I love this face...


A boy needs a break!



No comments:

Post a Comment