Okay - it is a little late, but Happy Mardi Gras anyway!
Being from northeast Alabama, Mardi Gras didn't mean much to me growing up. My first experience with it was my sophomore year at Auburn. Al and I had been dating for a year when he invited me to go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras as well as attend the Endymion Ball with his parents. This was one of the best and worst trips of my life :)
The first night we were in town, we went to Bourbon Street so that I could "experience" the real Mardi Gras. This was indeed the worst part of the trip. I was miserable being with so many people in such a tight place and the smell was overwhelming. I had been to New Orleans the year before and to Bourbon Street and had had a great time - boy, was this different. Without going into detail, after one to many inappropriate touches from people I didn't know, I told Al I was done with this scene and was ready to go. He knew I meant it and we left relatively early. I must have looked horrified because I think this was one of the only times I have told Al I was ready to go and him not try to talk me into a "few more minutes". I swore I would never go back to New Orleans at Mardi Gras (or at least to Bourbon Street again!)
The next day was great. We saw some of the smaller town parades that Al grew up going to. We went back to Scott and Jane's house and got all prettied up - Al in a tux and I was in my favorite formal dress at the time. We had a fabulous dinner at Nick's on the Avenue (a restaurant that isn't there anymore). I had THE BEST pork tenderloin of my life. I don't even remember how it was prepared - I just remember it being so incredibly tender! We then went to the Super Dome and watched the parade ride into the arena, led by none other than Ian Ziering and Jerry Springer (talk about a class act!)! We danced into the night to KC and the Sunshine Band. What great memories!
Fast forward 15 years to 2012 and we celebrated by dressing the kids in matching Mardi Gras appliqued outfits and eating gumbo! My, how far we have come :)
No comments:
Post a Comment