After the babies were born I decided that I didn't want to be carrying around their baby weight when they turned 4 (like I had done after Ely). I have done gym memberships, bootcamps, videos (actually, I don't think they made it to the DVD player!) but with not working I didn't want to commit money to something that I would probably flake out on anyway. So, I decided to do a couch to 5K program. I figured that at least it was free and I should get out and run. Mind you, I have NEVER run more than a mile in my life.
With everything, I started off strong and then about 5 weeks in, Ely started staying home with me and it got REALLY hot in Dallas. Lets just say my first attempt was short lived. Fast forward to August. Somehow I started talking with my dear friend, Stacy Panno about this who predicament and she told me of her 5K that she had signed up for in September. So, we started back running 3 days a week.
I can't tell you how indebted to Stacy I am. If it wasn't for her willingness to get up each morning before 6 and run with me, I wouldn't do it. Well, I am not all together comfortable with saying we are "runners". We certainly are faster than walkers but by no means are we full on "runners" yet. We both agree that running 30 minutes by now should be getting easier, but it isn't, at all. So I say we are joggers! Each day we remind ourselves that if we stick to it - we will be skinny. My matra is "runners aren't fat"!
This morning I completed my 2nd 5K. I have signed up for and paid for many a 5 K but it is just with these two have I started running them and not walking them. I will say, I am quite proud of my race today because it was the first that I ran by myself. Ashley hung back with me for the 1st mile but she ran on because she is much faster than I am. The Maple Leaf run was a challenge but I had all 3 kids at the end to get me there. I have never been so glad to be done running! By the way - this race has been going on for a long time - my mom and her friends ran in it when we were Hudson and Ely's ages!
In our last race, Shelley and I ran together and were the LAST runners to cross the finish line - only 2 walkers were behind us. Today was much better and I even improved my time by about 4 minutes. Thank you Ashley for setting me at a faster pace.
After the 5 K, Ely and Hudson ran a 1 mile Fun Run. Ashley ran the whole way with them but I couldn't keep up :)! I am so proud of both boys because they never gave up and finished so strong!
 |
| Cousins before leaving for the race |
 |
| All racers are ready |
 |
| Before - I am still smiling! |
 |
| Ashley is still smiling! |
 |
| I am totally dying and can't wait to be at the finish line |
 |
| Stretching before the race |
 |
| They did it! |
Today I ran about a 10 minute mile - I was a runner today! Now I am hungry and ready to eat!
Thank YOU for motivation ME every morning to get up and run!! I couldn't (and wouldnt) do it without you!!!
ReplyDeleteYay! Too fun!!!! Isn't it wild that this can be accomplished!? :) Still shocks me sometimes that I can!
ReplyDelete