If someone would kindly tell me where February, March and April went, I would appreciate it! With each passing week, I feel like I am coming out from under the fog of being pregnant with twins and then having 2 precious little babies. A mother of twins hit the nail on the head when she said that the first 3 months of having twins was really like a 4th trimester. Your body is taking as long to recover as it did to grow and the lack of sleep just keeps piling on - totally a snowball effect!
After 12 weeks (3 months) of being a family of 5, I finally feel like we are starting to get a firm footing in what once seemed like a daily fight against quick sand. They harder I tried I just couldn't get a handle on much of anything - especially little Molly and her eating.
Right now, I am able to look back on the last 3 months and see how far we have all come - each one of us. I know we have a long way to go with many challenges ahead, but I am grateful for today and the lives I have been entrusted with.
Our little Lukey Boy - he is as precious as he has always been. He is a healthy eater packing away 6-8 oz per feeding. At 12 pounds he is larger than Molly by about 2. If we only had Luke, we probably would already be talking about another baby as he is just so very easy. Luke gave us our first big break slept through the night at 10 weeks - Sunday night, April 17th to be exact. I have only had to give him a bottle twice since then in the middle of the night. He cries when he is hungry or tired. Dirty diapers don't really even bother him. He has an easy smile and it doesn't take much effort to make him laugh. Although his isn't really laughing yet, you can tell it will be a common sound in our house. He is easily calmed down even when he is upset. Luke enjoys laying on his play mat and looking at mirrors, rattles or anything above him. He can be entertained for about 30 minutes. There isn't much that gets him ruffled, except he doesn't like to be alone. If I have left him in the car seat while I get Molly out or if I load him in a stroller first and then run in to get Molly, he will cry because he just doesn't like to be alone.
Little Molly is our reality check. If we didn't have Luke to compare her to, Molly would probably seem like a very normal little baby - crying when she is hungry, wet, dirty, tired, bored, etc. She just knows exactly what she wants and is not afraid to tell us about it! My biggest struggle up until about 2 weeks ago was with her feedings. She would eat as little as 2oz per bottle and when she is eating only every 4 hours that isn't much for a days feeding. No matter what I tried, I just couldn't get her to eat any more. I am not sure what happened 2 weeks ago, but it was like a light when off and she figured it all out. She is now eating great and is just over 10 pounds (the 2 pound difference between the babies is so amazing how different they feel!) She is now eating 4.5-6oz per bottle and is so happy when she is eating. Her first gift to me is when she started sleeping through the night a week ago - April 25th was her big day. One week later she is still doing great. This little girl knows just what she wants and how to get it. She can turn purple she is crying so hard and then seconds later give us a smile that literally brightens the room! She doesn't smile as easily as Luke but boy, when she does, it is truly heart warming. Although we are all still figuring out how to live with a little girl in the house she is a perfect fit!
Ely continues to amaze us by how much he loves his brother and sister. I was fully expecting some jealousy or for the "newness" of the babies to wear off but he has just been wonderful. Each morning he wakes up asking for his brother and sister. He will get right close to their face and talk to them as if no one else is around. He loves to hold them and kiss them. We couldn't be more blessed by the love that is wrapped up in our 4 year old! This is his last week at Primrose Daycare. I am excited (and a bit nervous) to have him home with us full time starting next week - more to come on our weekly adventures!
Right now our typical day is - babies wake up around 7am, feed at 7:30, nap 8:30-11:30, feed at 11:30, nap 1pm - 3:30pm, feed at 3:30, nap about 45 minutes sometime in the afternoon and then eat at 7:30, bed at 8pm. I count it a blessing that they are sleeping 8pm - 7am already! Being able to get uninterrupted sleep is just as wonderful as I had remembered it being! We love going for walks outside in the jog stroller (I am training to run a 5K), looking at new rattles, play things and sitting and rocking! My babies love to be at home for feedings and naps so we don't venture out too many places these days.
We are about to make our journey to Alabama for most of the month of May. Ely, Molly, Luke and I leave a week from yesterday with Mom. Al will join us for Memorial Day weekend. I can't wait to introduce the babies to my family in friends in the South. It will be a fun but fast trip as we will be in Trussville, North Carolina, Alex City and Auburn over the 3 weeks. Al is going to fill his weeks iwth work and "entertaining customers". I heard something about a fishing trip in Mexico - I am sure he will miss us as much as he enjoys sleeping in! Before then we have the babies' dedication and Mothers Day - what a way to pack it in!!
No comments:
Post a Comment