Blog background

Friday, August 30, 2013

First Day of First Grade

Some people feel that January 1 is the mark of a new year and a new start.  For a couple of years now, my new year and new start comes with the first day of school.  Monday, August 26th was Ely's first day of 1st Grade.  Kindergarten wasn't such a big deal for me, but 1st grade really makes me feel like my little boy is growing up!  He was so excited to get started and ready for the next 9 months.  We have a sweet teacher, Mrs. Diggs.  She has the technology classroom so there will be a big focus on incorporating iPads and computers into how they learn.  With our current obsession with tv, wii, and iPad, this should be a great fit for Ely (especially considering his favorite thing about kinder was working with iPads every day!).  I haven't actually met her in person but we have exchanged some nice emails this week!  

The biggest difference so far is that there is a conduct/responsibility chart that comes home every day.  So far so good on conduct!  We will see how that continues once he gets comfortable in the class.  Ely has two little boys in class that he was friends with last year and a few girls.  I am praying that this year he is able to deepen one or two friendships and start having really close relationships.  

Molly and Luke will start school in a couple of weeks.  I am sooo looking forward to my 10 hours a week of "free time".  I have a list of projects around the house I am trying to get done before they go to school.  

For the sake of transparency and honesty, our first day of school was less than stellar for me and Ely.  After our "must have" pictures at home, we were running late.  When we got to the school and the parking lot was a mess and the clock was ticking away quicker than what I had planned.  Al drove separately and was able to park quicker than I was.  I tried to get Ely to jump out of the car and meet up with Al to walk in, but Ely didn't understand and I had to end up yelling at him to get out of the car so I could park and he wouldn't be late.  He got upset and then I felt horrible.  I didn't get the twins unloaded and into the school until after the late bell.  I didn't get to meet his teacher and he was a bit unsettled.  I was so upset that he wasn't sent off for his first day being built up and I was worried he felt beaten down.  I knew that was NO way I wanted him to start the year.  I ended up dropping the twins off at a friend's house and going back up to the school in tears to apologize for such a crummy start to the day and year.  

I figure that life isn't always easy and I can spend a lot of time criticizing the decisions of other women or I could just focus on myself and my family and do my best to make right the times when I know I have done wrong.  That is my fresh start to our new year... 


Notice the twins are not matching but coordinating - baby steps, people!

I love that Al makes it a priority to be apart of the kids milestones - first day of school is always one of them!

Twins had some play time after dropping Ely off.  
After school we celebrated the first day with friends at Sonic.  Such fun!


Ely and Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment