Over the last 24 hours I have had an extremely heavy heart. There are not one, but two faithful women I know who are struggling with things a mother should never have to face. Watching their child fight for his/her life.
In North Carolina, Deanna Bourgeault is cherishing every moment she has with her 2 year old daughter who has Niemann-Picks Type A disease. From all accounts, it seems as thought Kaitlyn is nearing the end of her short life on earth. Her parents are prayerfully doing everything they can to keep her as comfortable as she can be while they still have her.
Just a few states north in Boston, Ellen Wynn McBrayer is in a hospital room watching her year old son literally fight for his life. Little Wynn was born with a heard defect that has resulted in numerous surgeries and it seems as though the one he had on 11/11/11 is his last hope for healing this precious boy. The fact he is alive today is nothing short of a miracle.
I could go into detail of each of their stories, but of course I will miss details and am not able to share these childrens' stories as much as their mama's can. Deanna and Kaitlyn's story is here and Ellen and Wynn's story is here or here. All I can say with great confidence is that I am humbled to have known these women in different times of my life and their stories of faith simply amaze me.
Each day Deanna, Ellen and their families wake up to face the reality that literally this could be their last day with the babies they have loved so long. They have opened their lives up to their friends and family to share their stories and grow their circle so that others can pray for them and this journey. With each post or update, I am left feeling hope because with every victory or setback, they are pointing me to Christ. Each Time. Without Fail.
What would I do in their situation? I pray that I will never have to answer that question. Would I lean squarely on the loving arms of Christ as I hope I would? Would I be more quick to share my struggles and doubts or would I shout of God's love and loyalty to me and my family even in the darkest of days? What hits closest to home is that one day the babies were growing and developing just fine (either in the womb with Wynn or after they were born, Kaitlyn) and one day a doctors appointment changed their life forever. In a moment these families' lives were changed forever.
Al and I were talking just this weekend that, although we do not live in fear, we both feel we are against the clock and will be forced to face devastating news that will impact us for the rest of our life. We have had tragedy with the death of my father, but as we approach the 6 year anniversary, the pain has dulled and we are mostly left with wonderful, loving memories. Are we the only ones to think that? It seems as though each week we hear of another friend who has cancer, or someone lost a loved one, or (most tragically) a child is fighting for their life.
Luke and Molly both have colds right now along with teething. They are cranky, fussy, snotty and croupy. But they are here. As I was struggling with Luke to suck the snot out of his nose, I was overcome with the thought that I am confident both Deanna and Ellen would give just about anything they could to only have to deal with a diagnosis of "croup".
Dear Lord, thank you for bringing such amazing examples of women who are gracefully facing adversity even as I write this. Thank you for giving me a new perspective today. May my appreciation for Your goodness and grace stay with me and my family regardless of our situation. Please have your presence cover Ellen, Wynn, their family, Deanna, Kaitlyn and their family as they have never known or could ever explain.
Friends, please pray for these families. I know there are so many other facing similar adversity and we could spend all day every day praying for the sick but I ask you to pray for these specifically today.
Lord, I am humbled.
No comments:
Post a Comment