Blog background

Sunday, December 1, 2013

We Were There...

Growing up in the south, specifically in Alabama, you hear of events that are told almost as fables.  Great football games that have gone down in history.  Punt Bama Punt, Bo Over the Top, just to name a couple.  Auburn has had a remarkable year.  At the first game we weren't even ranked having had a painfully hard season in 2012.  The regular season has now ended and I would take a gander that few people, if any, had been bold enough to predict the type of year we have had.  Going into the last game of the season, the Iron Bowl, we had only lost 1 game.  To LSU and even in that game, we played with heart and made a good showing.

I am a firm believer that anything can happen during the Auburn vs. Alabama Iron Bowl each year.  The favored team is not guaranteed a win and certainly the craziest things can happen. Which is exactly what came to pass on Saturday night.  With 1 second left on the game clock (a second that Bama's coach actually fought to have put back on the game clock after time had expired) Auburn returned a missed Alabama field goal 109 yards for a game winning touchdown. It was ridiculous.  

There will be few games I will ever witness in my lifetime with such an ending and I am so thankful I was there and that my kids will always be able to say they were there too (even though Molly and Luke will only have memories through stories and pictures).  I have never seen the Auburn crowd support a team throughout the entire game as we did.  I have never seen a rush onto the field like there was Saturday night.  I will always remember this as the first game my little people were able to sit through an entire football game and as the first time they were able to roll Toomers Corner.  

I said on FB that there are few things more magical than being in Auburn for the Iron Bowl.  The only thing more magical is standing in a foot of toilet paper while rolling Toomers Corner after an Iron Bowl Victory.  Simply priceless!

Al, Ely, Luke, Molly and I will always be able to say "We Were There"!

Pregame Tailgate.  A huge "thank you" to my brother in law, Drew, for organizing (and protecting) this great spot!

9 cousins ready for some football!  On Saturday I noticed how few kids were going into the stadium on this huge game.  Mostly because the ticket price had gotten so high.  I love that my parents felt that Auburn was a family affair and all are to be included.  These kids will one day know what a special privilege it is!

Love spending time with college roomies.  Love you Dana!

A pregame family picture is always a must!

An hour nap helped this little one battle through 4 quarters!  Al calls this the most expensive nap Luke will have!

Look at that field littered with fans who bleed orange and blue


Popcorn is my secret weapon for getting 2 year olds through a game!

I love this site!

Thank you mom for continuing to make Auburn a special place for our family and kids


Daddy teaching the littles the fine art of rolling Toomers Corner

Ely's first launch





Molly was most interested in holding the toilet paper


Luke loved rolling more than anyone else!

Some of our best pictures are in Jordan Hare Stadium
Throwback Tuesday:
November 1999, rolling Toomers Corner after winning Homecoming.  Aren't we cute!



No comments:

Post a Comment