Blog background

Friday, November 30, 2012

Thankful to be caught up!

It is 10:33pm on November 30th.  I am bound and determined to get this blog caught up before December!  I have an hour and 27 minutes to get this done!!  In this world of social media, I am feeling a bit ungrateful as I haven't posted a single entry on the blog, FB or twitter about what I am grateful for, much less posting something every day of this month.  As I realize I am getting farther and farther behind on my updates, I am going to use this opportunity to post things I am thankful for as a way to get all up to date on our fun fall!  Warning - this will be a long post with LOTS of pictures since I have 2 months of catching up to do.  We are going to tackle this, bullet point style!!


  •  My family....  Even this simple statement is overwhelming to me as I think of all elements of my family that I am thankful for.  Ely, Molly and Luke have brought me such joy over the past few months, I could burst.  Yes, we have had our tears, frustrations, spankings and time outs but it is amazing to me how the twins have grown and how Ely has matured since the first part of this fall.
    • Ely - tonight as we were reading books before bed, Ely made the following comment "I like how the artist really took his time" referring to the pictures in the book.  Just 2 nights ago, Ely came up to me and said "Mommy, I just love you so much".  and this afternoon we were talking about his day at school and I asked what his favorite part was, "That Mrs. Hill was back" (his teacher was out yesterday).  He has matured emotionally so much the past few weeks. He is so open with how he feels about me, Al, Molly and Luke.  I just can't get enough of it.  I am sure that it is some developmental milestone around this age to learn about empathy, but it is so sweet and endearing. He truly seems to care when my feelings are hurt or when he has made my life harder by disobeying.  
    My "old man" on old man day at school
    • Molly girl - my little chatter box (although I can't understand 90% of what she says)!  Molly can say "uh oh, baby, book, ruf ruf (for doggie sound) baaa baa (for sheep sound), duck, mama and dada".  She is getting to be very chatty in her very own language.  I love that when asked, "where is mommy/daddy/Ely/Luke/Molly" she can point to the correct person.  Her smile can still light up a room and also comes a bit easier than it did a year ago.  Molly has really gotten attached to her baby dolls, and what I love even more is that she is attached to 2 - my Madame Alexander baby that I played with and the one that I gave her for her 1st birthday.  She always has to have 2 babies in her arms.  My personal opinion is that since she is a twin and her reality is that mommy has always held 2 babies, then she needs to hold 2 babies!  Sister loves her books.  She seems to be happier with a book than with a toy.  She can be very helpful when it is time to clean up (if she is in the right mood!).  Molly is a daddy's girl and they are developing some special bond!
    A very rare cuddle with Molly
    • Luke - my little lover.  This boy loves to snuggle his mama.  Over the past few weeks I have noticed that he when he gives me a hug he is starting to actively cling to me.  I love feeling his little hands actively holding my back when I hug him or carry him around.  Luke has learned how to give kisses and will give them frequently and with great excitement!  Luke is a mama's boy and will choose me over anyone else.  He doesn't feel as much of a need to talk as Molly. He can say "mama, daddy, duck, mi (for milk)".  I really think he has a ton of words up in that little head, but feels no great need to share what is on his mind!  As from the very beginning, Luke doesn't need as much sleep as Molly.  For the second week in a row, he has decided to wake up around 5:30 one or two mornings.  The only good thing is that he is my snuggler and will come and lay in bed with me and then will be occupied with some cartoons while I get a bit more rest.  Luke is now 4 pounds bigger than Molly at 26 pounds and is noticeably larger than his sister.  He is my climber and my newest challenge is to keep him off of the kitchen table, chairs, etc.  He thinks he is a big boy because every time I put him in the van, he will scurry to the bag to get in Ely's booster seat - cracks me up, every time!
    • Last but definitely not least, Al.  Al works day in and day out to be able to provide for us so that I can stay at home.  And I love him for it.  I am thankful that we live in Dallas and in an area where a salesman can still be successful in this economy.  As much as I am on Al's back to be at home as much as possible, I know that he also wants to be home with us.  Don't get me wrong, the boys loves his time hunting with "customers"/friends, entertaining clients, etc but I know his heart is at home and with us.  I love how he supports me and my dreams, goals and ambitions.  I also love him for putting up with my crazy.  He will always try my new recipes (sometimes a success and just as often a huge fail) and will not skip a step to order some food when one of those recipes aren't edible!  One of the attributes I have always loved about my parents is their generosity and I love that Al has embraced that quality and has allowed it to flourish.  There is nothing more attractive about Al than how he loves his kids.  In the last month, he has made a point to make memories with all the kids, but especially Ely.  They have been on a "boys weekend" to Knoxville, TN and Charlotte, NC to see 2 different football games.  Thanksgiving weekend Al took Ely hunting for the first time.  Talk about father/son bonding!  I sure do miss him when he is gone, but it is sure is good to see him walk back through that door!  Lastly, I love how Al has embraced our church, GracePoint Church, Coppell.  He is involved and building relationships that I never knew would be important to him.  I am thankful to have a husband who truly loves being in church with his family and who works at keeping God and church a priority in our every day lives.




  • We couldn't have asked for a better start to school for Ely.  Sandi Hill has been an answer to prayers that we didn't even know we had!  Just this morning, I was up at Ely's school to see a project they have been working on his teacher started talking the parents about the kids.  While talking she started getting choked up at how much she loves them.  Really - a teacher who cares so much she is emotionally invested in these 6 year olds?  I just love her.  She is quirky, loving, edgy and simply more than we could have ever asked for!  And she has taught the kids a great cheer!


  • If you have ever talked with me during the week, you know that Tuesday and Thursdays could be my most favorite days of the "work week".  This is when I drop Molly and Luke off at Compass Christian Preschool for 5 hours each day.  Ms. Denise and Ms. Billy Jean welcome them twice a week with energy, love and patience and I have 10 hours each week without a child  hanging on me...bliss.  They play, learn, eat and sleep while I am able to do whatever I need to do that day.  Nuf said....
  • For the first time in many, many years, 2012 has been a year of personal accomplishments.  I never really took a lot of pride in work success nor have I ever made many personal goals, but this year has been the year of "me".  With the help of my sister, Ashley and my mom, I was able to loose some weight I had needed to get off for a long time - 24 pounds to be exact!!  Also, with the motivation of Ashley and help of Lindsey, I set a goal of running a half marathon and accomplished that goal on November 11th.  I ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours 9 minutes and I have the sticker on my van to prove it!!!  Accomplishing a goal is really a powerful thing.  It has helped prove to me that I can do it ("it" being anything that I really, really want to do!).  I had great cheerleaders to help me with these milestones - my mom, Ashley, Lindsey, Missy, Joanna,  Greg and Paula who came out to the race and Al who would get up with the kids on Saturday mornings so that I could go for a long run.



  • The very best thing (maybe only good thing) that came from my dad's passing was that my sisters and I have never been as close as the years since dad got sick.  Even 7 years later we are finding ways to strengthen our relationship and friendship.  Ashley was my number one motivator for me to run the half marathon this month.  It was such fun running "with" her each week as we kept track of our runs being 4 states a part.  Our 12 mile run in Auburn was my most memorable.  I will never be as fast nor as competitive as Ashley but am grateful she pushed me to achieving my personal goal time!  Thank you!  Shelley and I are now able to talk any day during the day while the kids are playing or napping.  I am grateful for these calls to connect and stay relevant in each others lives.  Shelley motivates me to make every occasion special.  She has an amazing patience level with her girls despite the amount of time she spends with them.  I want to be as organized as she is - one day maybe!!  As this year comes to a close, we will all be together for Christmas.  I can't wait for our 7 children to sit at the top of my mom's steps and wait in anticipation to see what Santa has brought.  Just the same way the 3 of us did for so many years growing up.  
  • I am one blessed girl to have some many amazing women in my life.  My oldest childhood friends are doing amazing things - raising families while husbands are serving our country.  My college friends are like my home.  When I plan a trip to Alabama, it is never complete without seeing my college family - those girls who lived with me day in and day out for 4 years - talk about seeing the good, bad and ugly!!  My hometeam friends - these are the girls that helped me learn how to be a wife and a new mom.  There is nothing more fun than seeing how we have all grown the past 10 years.  I have met friends in the lobbies and halls of one of the greatest hotels in Texas!  These are the relationships that started at work and quickly infiltrated our homes and every part of our lives.  My newest friendships have bloomed from mommyhood - we either share a bond of first time kindergartners, t-ball player or twins.  To me, nothing is sweeter than women who can lean on each other when life gets a little too real!  Girls, thank you for helping me be the best me I can be!  
  • Although Auburn football was a huge disappointment this year, it did provide an excuse for 3 trips back to Alabama - for which I will always be grateful!   My kids being able to romp around the Plains with their cousins is something I hope never to take for granted.  So much of my life stems from the 36830 zip code...my parents me there, their sisters met their husbands at Auburn, each of my sisters went there and 2 of us met our husbands, dad re-energized an old tradition and allows us to have a special place in Auburn history.  This year was especially wonderful as Al and I were able to share Auburn with some of our Texas friends.  It was a wonderful weekend and I look forward to many more with our TX Aggie friends!



  • As I have said many, many times, one of the things I am most excited about is my flexibility as a stay at home mom.  In October Molly, Luke and I spent a week in Alabama and then mom was able to come to Dallas for a visit in November.  Maybe it is getting older or maybe started after we lost Dad, but I cherish the time I am able to spend with mom.  I look back on those months after Dad died in 2005 and with fondness remember that I was able to see my family at least once a month - it was a huge sacrifice for Al and a huge blessing for me.  Now, I am able to enjoy that same time (not every month, but quite often) when I can come to Alabama or mom comes to Dallas.  I am so lucky that I have a mom who is my biggest cheerleader and a friend. 
  • For the very first time, I will be able to gift my children gifts that I have made...with my own two hands!  Each of the kids are getting super hero capes and the twins are getting smocked outfits and pillows.  Folks - I made these things.  My mom got me a sewing machine for my birthday and my sweet and VERY talented friend, Joanna, helped me learn how to actually make something on my sewing machine.  I have made the capes but still have to do the pillows.  When they are finished, I will sent out pictures!  I can't tell you how excited I am to have gifts for my kids that I made. I never knew I would have such a sense of pride!  The capes are pretty awesome and I can't wait to see them once they have the appliqued superhero logos on them! 
  • Since it is now officially December (by about 12 minutes), I am thankful that my house is all decorated and I can simply enjoy the next 22 days before we head to Alabama.  My house is never as cozy and inviting as when it is all ready for Christmas.  If only it would be just a little cold in Dallas, then I could also light the fireplace and send pictures of winter bliss!
  • There are not many people who are like Al and me.  We have moved 1200 miles from home to Dallas, TX where we didn't know anyone or had any family.  Within 6 years were were fortunate enough to have Al's mom, grandmother, uncle and family move within 30 minutes of us.  Being able to grow these relationships have been great.  Not every day is easy and not every situation is perfect but I have loved seeing Emily and Grant grown into the young adults they are today - just amazing! Even more, I love seeing how each of them love my kids.  I love how Ely thinks he is the coolest, big kid in the world when hanging out with Emily and Grant.  I love how Luke runs to Al's mom when she walks in the house and how Jane and Scott can't get enough of any of my kids!  
  • I am a nut for Molly and Luke wearing matching outfits.  Seriously, nuts.  What is funny is supposedly I told Shelley when I was pregnant that I wouldn't really match the twins at all and might just coordinate them sometimes.  Nothing could be more different than reality.  Every day the twins match  - and it just makes me happy.  I am thankful for my mom who has provided so many of these clothes and to Ashley and Shelley who have loaned me so much!!!  If I do say so, my kids do look cute a good bit of the time!

  • Luckily a couple of times a month, I am able to leave my mothering and wife duties at home and pretend to be a "professional"!  I am grateful for the time I am able to help DFW Events and Paige Chennault Events with weddings and mitzvahs.  I love planning a party and seeing a event come together to make a special night for a couple or family.  With my current roles, I am able to be a part of amazing events without shouldering the responsibility for them.  I love being the "worker bee" and making life a little easier for the event planners.  I am thankful for these continued relationships!
  • 2013 will be an exciting year for our entire family, but especially for Ashley, Mike, Hudson and Haisten.  The Hills will be welcoming a new daughter from Ethiopia and I can't wait to meet her.  There is an element of mystery around adoption.  It is likely that she has been born and living in a wonderful transition home.  Who is she, what is her name, what does she look like, what is her favorite thing?  I can't wait for when we get to know her, love her and share this family with her. www.ourhillsong.blogspot.com 
  • I am 32 minutes into December but can't end without reflecting on the most influential man in my family - Dad.  It is unbelievable that he has been gone for 7 years now.  More than that, it is heartbreaking that none of my kids were held by their granddaddy.  I will never forget the very first day I met Hudson (our oldest grandkid).  I was at my parents house and Ashley brought Hudson over for dinner the night I flew in.  I was holding him for the very first time and then Dad walked in from work.  He practically grabbed Hudson from my arms and never offered him back to me.  Until then I have no memory of dad holding a baby, ever and I remember thinking that night - I have never seen Dad love a baby like this before.  As sad as I am that my kids won't feel his earthly embrace, I have no doubt how much they would have been loved and fawned over.  My grandfather had a plate on the front of his truck that said "Let me tell you about my grandchildren" and I know that dad would have had the same thing on the front of his jeep.  I miss him every day.  I long for the day we  are once a complete family and he is holding court with all the grandchildren when we all meet again in heaven.  I have no doubt that our kids will know of him so well that they will instantly recognize him when we are in the next life.  That will be good times.
Picture are worth a thousand words for the rest of my thankfulness :)
  • Halloween

Scarecrow day!





  • Pumpkin Patches





  • New babies

Welcome to the world, Aubrey Rose!
  • New Toms!
  • Story time at Barnes and Noble


  • Brother/Sister Love





  • Beautiful Thanksgiving Turkey

  • Baby Playdates

With Crowell Twins - aren't we cute all matching?
With Ian


  • Texas State Fair - no picture with Big Tex since he burned just before we got there!




  • Beautiful weather that allowed for a fun zoo day with Grammy





It is now 1:49am and I am done!! Officially, "Merry Christmas".  I pray that your month is one full of joy, laughter, twinkling lights, family, and moments that are not filled with too much hustle and bustle.  Only 25 more days of Christmas and I plan to enjoy each and every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment